Sunday, September 25, 2011

How We See the World: Blind and Deaf

Old Class Periods: 9/12-14/2011
Great! So this is a post to make up for the class periods I missed earlier in the year, before I had created this blog. I already typed this up once before, but unfortunately my Internet suddenly closed...and all was lost! :( The following reflections are purely based on memory and my notes.


9/12/2011
Today we blind-folded each other and walked in and around the school grounds, and even part of the bike path off of Quincy. I partnered with Emma, who "volunteered" to be blind-folded first. Instructions were to not talk to the one blind-folded, but only to lead them. I led her out of the building, around the parking decks, up a hill into a park, and finally, left her in the middle of the field (according to Mr. Summers' direction) so that she was forced to find me by listening to my calls as I ran around her. We switched places and I suddenly realized that the terror I had relentlessly teased her about while she was blind-folded was completely justified. While the fear was perhaps a little exaggerated, it was something I could not control. It truly is terrifying to be led across streets, over fences, onto slides and playground equipment, and into a pond, balancing on one little rock trying to understand what your partner wants you to do. I definitely struggled with this task. I was okay while we were walking on the bike path (in fact, we actually ran parts of it) because I knew where I was, having run on it countless times for cross country and track practice. After the exercise, we discussed metacognition and the awareness we had of ourselves during the exercise that we maybe do not normally have. Specifically, Helen talked about how her immediate instinct was to move slower. I became more aware of the things under my feet, whereas normally I am more concerned with what is around me. I was also extremely cautious...constantly tuning into Emma's voice over anyone else's, because I knew that she was the one I depended on.


9/13/2011
Mr. Summers began the class by stating a quote from a 9 year-old girl, Anna: "The hardest kind of thinking is thinking about thinking." The quote directly addresses metacognition, introspection, and reflection, particularly on the young girl's part. We discussed the previous day and how/what it was like to walk around known territory blind--suddenly everything felt foreign. Our second seminar on Sophie's World was today. One of Jordan's points was the existence of free will and how the author values women's rights over men's, because he made the main character a young female. I took this decision of the author to more represent the distinction between his view and others: that philosophy is for all people of all ages, genders, races, background, socioeconomic status, etc.. Emma thought of this even slightly differently, by saying that Sophie is a girl and child because the author values women as philosophers and thinks they have a lot to offer to the study of philosophy that historically, only men have been given the opportunity. Jordan took his previous statement one step further and said that philosophy is in favor of women. I have to admit that I didn't really follow his support for his claim, and honestly, I do not view gender as being the primary issue within the novel. I had not thought a lot about it, so it was helpful to hear from them, but I don't think my opinions really changed on the subject.


9/14/2011
This week we interspersed seminar days with active days. It's Wednesday, and we went outside today with blind folds (again) and ear plugs. This time, Mr. Summers had us walk to a little park with our ear plugs in, but fortunately we could see! Otherwise, I'm not so sure I would have made it there alive. We went to the park and sat down in a circle in the grass. He motioned for us to take out our ear plugs and then gave us instructions to put the ear plugs back in, the blind folds on, and meditate for the next 5 or so minutes. It felt like an eternity. It was amazing though! Truly, it was. I could feel every nerve in my body, my heart beat slow down and then thump in my wrists, neck, and temples. I felt my body...it felt very light and airy. I focused on the center of my forehead (like I was taught to do during my yoga class). Eventually he clapped (which I did not hear) and Maddy shook me to wake up and take off my stuff. We repeated the exercise, but this time laying down with our arms to our side and palms up. It was perfect. Bliss. I've actually done this many time before...just laying down on the ground with my eyes closed, I mean. But never when I couldn't hear. My thoughts sounded SO INCREDIBLY LOUD. I cannot even describe how powerful my thoughts were during those few minutes. It was like I was the only one there. However, this feeling was briefly broken when I felt something hit my foot repeatedly. Afterwards I asked if Mr. Summers had done it, but apparently he had not, but instead, allowed a squirrel to hit my foot! So funny, because if I had been able to see or hear, I would have had a better idea of what was going on, but I didn't at the time. I also experienced moments where I felt like bugs were crawling all over my body. I kept telling myself they were ants, but I swear, in the back of my head I just knew they were probably spiders. I did not react though. I never moved my body during those minutes, even though I could feel things beyond my control happening to me that normally I would have changed or manipulated. They just didn't seem like a priority then.


Well, that's basically it! I know I missed a ton of details and comments from the seminar on Tuesday, but that was the discussion I remembered most and had written about. Sorry this is so late! I've actually spent a LOT of time thinking about those three days, and talked to a lot of people about those experiences. You'd be surprised how often it comes up...how fortunate I am to be able to see and hear. thanks -j

No comments:

Post a Comment